Thursday, November 16, 2006

Darwin

In Darwin I stayed in the Cavenagh Hostel. It was still really hot but I decided to have a wander around and check the place out. I walked around the city along the Esplanade and down to Lameroo Beach. That night I headed down to Stokes Hill Wharf - they are doing some major re-development of the harbour area so it was pretty difficult to find my way through to the Wharf where I eventually found a food court - unfortunately the curry I bought was minging.

Next day I walked to the museum via the botanical gardens which proved to be a lot further than I anticipated meaning that I arrived at the museum a sweaty mess.

The museum itself was OK with Aboriginal art, a display on all the creatures in Australia that can kill and injure you, exhibits on Cyclone Tracy and the boats of the Pacific Islands. There was also a massive stuffed salt water crocodile called Sweatheart!!

I decided to catch the bus back into town and explored a bit more. I saw survivors lookout where there was information about the bombing of Darwin Harbour in WWII and found the secret oil storage tunnels built to protect the fuel during bombings. I also saw some of the remains of buildings that were destroyed by Cyclone Tracey during in 1974.

That night I went out for a few beers with my room mates but had an early night ready for my early start next day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetheart eh? Where are the pics?
Love
Jen
xxxx

01 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home