Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Adelaide

I stayed in Cannon Street Backpackers. The place was a bit of a dive and the toilets stunk but I did like my room so didn't bother moving.

I did the Adelaide City Walk from the Lonely Planet to get a good overview of the city. I visited the Art Gallery and Museum and walked around the Botanical Gardens. The Aboriginal stuff in the museum was quite interesting as I didn't know much about Aboriginals - I learned that they are the oldest race of people on the planet!!

I went on a day trip to the Barossa Valley with Groovy Grape. I got picked up bright and Early from the hostel. The group for the day was really small which worked in our favour as we got more wines at each of the stops.

Before we got to the Wineries we stopped off for morning coffee at the World largest Rocking Horse (Seriously!). We also stopped at a dam called the Whispering Wall. At first we didn't know what the point of stopping there was but it turns out that the dam was accidently built as a perfect sound arc. Some people walked right over to the otherside of the dam whilst some of us stayed on the nearside. They talked right next to the dam wall and it sounded like they were right next to you - Amazing!!

Our first winery of the day was quite a posh one - The Jacob's Creek Orlando Interpretive Centre. The tour started with the history of the brand then we got to the tasting.

Our next stop of the day was Vinecrest Wines. We tried more wines here including a Sparkling Shiraz which I never knew you could get (it is served chilled).



Just before lunch we called in at the Richmond Grove Winery and learned about how the wine was made before another tasting. We had a BBQ lunch on the grass outside and as well as traditional steak and chicken we also got to try an Aussie specialty of Kangaroo!

We then headed into the town of Tanunda for an ice cream and a look around. In the afternoon we visited our final winery for the day, the Bethany Winery. After trying the wines we climbed to the Menglers Hill lookout.



Everyone fell asleep on the ride back to the city.

I also took some time to plan the next stage of my trip. I went into the Travel Agents to book something for the East Coast and ended up re-planning my entire trip. I'd been planning my trip around the two flights I got on my Round the World ticket but decided as they didn't really cost me anything I could re-plan the trip to see more of the country and do some more overland stuff.

To see my new agenda see my new Itinerary.

On my last day in Adelaide I headed to the beach at Glenelg. You catch the tram from the city. The beaches were pretty quiet as there was lots of repair work going on to replace the sand. There were lots of up market restaurants there too.





I left Adelaide to catch the India Pacific train to Perth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home