Monday, September 04, 2006

Queenstown - Nevis Highwire Bungy

A late start to the day after the previous nights festivities - I managed to talk Nathan my room mate into doing the Nevis bungy with me.

We checked in at the Bungy Station at 2pm and travelled for 35 minutes in a 4x4 bus to get out to the site. We got our first look at the bungy pod and really understood what we'd let ourselves in for. We got our harnesses on and headed outside. You jump from a pod 134 metres (440 feet) over the Nevis Valley and are ferried out to it by a shuttle along a cable. It was a really windy day and it was pretty scary as the shuttle was swaying in the wind - there was a huge gust as we stepped from the shuttle to the pod - I'd expected the pod to be stable but it was swinging as much as the shuttle. As the heaviest (not by much!) I was first to go - good as I would get it over and done with then laugh at the others - bad as I wouldn't get to see how it all worked. I got the whole thing recorded so no doubt will be boring some of you with that when I'm back.

You get the leg straps put on then have to sit on a chair while they fasten the bungy cord. I was suprised to see the cord is actually just lots of elastic strands. On the Nevis you get a second clip attached to your waist as you need to unclip your feet to be pulled back up into the pod in a sitting position.

I shuffled out to the edge of the pod - you are not supposed to look down but I couldn't ressist - a bit of a mistake looking back. The instructor counts down 5,4,3,2,1 - BUNGY - after a split second pause I dived off. The free fall was incredible although I did scream. You cover the 134 metres (440 feet) with a free fall of about 8 1/2 seconds. Although I didn't realise it at the time I unclipped my feet a bit early - but it actually worked out better as I got to see the views face up - bouncing like a big baby in a baby bouncer!





After the bouncing there is a counter balance system which kicks in a a weight comes down and you shoot back up to the pod. I could relax and watch the others jump. One of the best was a guy from OZ who would not let go of the instructors hand!

I watched the DVD back and collected the photos and my free T-shirt.

That night we celebrated with a World famous Ferg Burger followed by a pub crawl. On the crawl we visited:

The Pig and Whistle Pub
Pog Mahones Irish Pub
Loaded Hog
Frasers Bar & Grill
World Bar (again for the hat trick 3 nights in a row!)
The Buffalo Club

As the Buffalo Club was heaving we finished the night in a smaller bar next door - needless to say the next day was spent feeling a bit worse for wear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the Sky Dive was scary but from the pics this looks worse - brave man - love Jen x

04 September, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home