Sunday, August 20, 2006

Mount Maunganui, Hahei and Whitianga

It was a long driving day to get to the Mount as we stopped at Taupo and Rotorua. We stopped for two and a half hours in Rotorua and I was a bit stuck for things to do as I'd already spent two full days there.

We arrived in Mount Maunganui at the Pacific Coast Lodge & Backpackers. This was the best hostel I have stayed in so far - instead of packing you off to your room they invite you to the Kitchen for tea/coffee, biscuits and Pizza first. The hostel was spotless and the family who ran it were very friendly.

Mount Maunganui was the one place I have visited in New Zealand where I wished I could have spent a bit more time because as well as the great hostel the beaches were amazing and I would have liked to have climbed up the Mount itself.

Next morning I set off to do the Coromandel Connection. Our first stop was Hot Water Beach where you can dig in the sand for hot spring water and make your own spa pool apparently - however it was high tide when we visited so it was rubbish. Driving along the coast line to our next stop Hahei and Cathedral Cove there were some spectacular views.



We stopped at the carpark and there was a 45 minute walk to get to the cove where there was a white sand beach and a large cathedral like cavern which forms a tunnel through the headland.



We left the cove and drove to our stop off point for the evening - Whitianga (pronounced fiddy-anga!). I stayed in a hostel called The Cats Pajamas - I think the place had been caught in a time warp and the TV looked like it was one of the first colour sets ever made! We went to the pub to watch the All Blacks play Australia - although I wasn't that interested in the game at first it was quite entertaining and by the end I got quite into it. There was a good atmosphere in the pub and loads of people were drinking from pint servers called "the Barmaid" which held about 5 pints - a great invention! The All Blacks won although it was a close game and were Tri Nation champions.

Next day I headed back to Auckland to complete my tour of the North Island. I stayed at Base - when I arrived it was mayhem as the cleaners were frantically trying to tidy up after the aftermath of the people celebrating the All Blacks win.

Next I fly down to Christchurch on the South Island - I picked up the flight for about 50 quid.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question is - did you have the five-pints? ;-) Jen x

25 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its always been a dream of mine to visit Australia so I hope to hear loads of news.

It looks like you are having a really great time.

Can't wait to hear it from the 'Kangaroos' mouth

Una and John

30 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home