Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Night in Prison

We had an overnight stop in Napier and some of us decided to stay in a converted prison.



It was an entertaining place to spend one night - I had my own cell and you could walk around the whole site - including the hanging yard. There was lots of stories about former inmates up on the wall. It was a good experience but I'm glad I was only staying one night as the toilets and shower block were outside and it was freezing.

That evening I had a bit of time to look around Napier which is famous for its art deco buildings. The town was flattened by an earthquake in the early 1930’s was rebuilt in the style of the time – and now is known as "The Art Deco capital of the world" (apparently!)

Next morning we headed off for Mount Maunganui.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home