Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sky Jump

I had been talking about this with a few of you who had been encouraging me to do it so I finally got around to doing the SkyJump from the Auckland Sky Tower.

I signed up and went up the tower with another jumper - they give you a jump suit and body harness. Once up on the observation deck I was clipped to the jump cable. You stand on the end of the platform and look over the edge - you also get your photo taken. It was a strange feeling jumping off the edge because you see traffic and rooftops when you look down and your brain is questioning what you are asking it to do!

You stop after a few seconds and hang in mid air while they get another photo before they let you drop to the ground and you accelerate to around 75Kmph. It was a great sensation but unfortunately it didn't seem to last too long as you soon see the ground and the landing target rushing up towards you.

The total drop I did from the observation was 192m (630ft)! This definately has got me even more exited about a skydive which I hope to do in Taupo.

After my jump I paid for the photo CD.

Then I walked around the Parnell area of Auckland which has a couple of old buildings Ewelme Cottage and The Kinder House built around 1857 - not old at all by UK standards.

Unfortunately I did not check the Jump CD until later that night - it was blank I raced back to the Skytower at 5.55pm they close at 6pm but they had deleted all the photos from that day. So before any of you start asking - how do we know he really did it? Well I have two prints that I bought but just need to scan these in so I'll add them soon.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

COOOOOL! You need to get the pics scanned! Jen x

08 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Phil,

That's great re: your sky jump but please don't convince Mel to do any more upon your return to the UK...

Had my 30th yesterday and will be celebrating with everyone on Saturday with a BBQ and lots of drink (I'm sure we'll be drinking lots on your behalf).

Charlotte

09 August, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to do the skydive in Taupo Phillipio - its fab!. Also hot air ballooning in Christchurch is quite reasonable and v. good - cheapest place we found.

Finally (and I think mel and charlotte have done it too) - you have to go 'zorbing'. It involves getting in a giant ball with water in and going down a hill - trust me its funny but over in seconds. We did it in Rotarura I think so you must go that.

xx vic

14 August, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home