Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ometepe - Phil versus the Volcano

An early start for most of the lads in the group as we had decided to get to Ometepe (the largest freshwater island in the World) to watch some World Cup footie.

We decided to pay a bit extra and cut some corners and avoid more chicken bus travel.

It was a bit of a squeeze with 5 of us in a taxi but the driver took us straight to the port. We had timed it just right to catch a ferry over lake Nicaragua to the island. We stopped briefly to look at a strange tree by the port where there were loads of chained up monkeys and wondered if these were monkey friends for sale before hoping on the ferry (equipped with a tiny portable TV complete with football).

We had expected to watch the footie at the port in Ometepe but the hotel driver was waiting for us and we managed to catch almost two full matches over lunch and a few beers.

The group turned up later in the day and it had taken them nearly twice as long to get there. When we were assigned a room I had to complain as we were given a room twice the size with air conditioning and TV just to leave our bags - my Spanish complaining paid off and we got an upgrade.

The hotel was right on the shores of the lake which despite looking like the chocolate lake in Charlie and the Chocolate factory and there being one too many dead fish on the beach the locals guaranteed it was not polluted and perfectly safe to drink.

That night everyone got hammered which as it turned out was a particularly stupid idea for me as I had signed up for a Volcano trek early the next morning.

Well the guide had said we needed to be fit and in good physical condition - so after the Inca trail I figured it should not be to difficult - wrong!!

The day started early with a nice leisurely breakfast at the base of the Maderas volcano (all OK at this point - a bit thirsty).

The attraction of this volcano was that there was a lot of wildlife to see on the climb and there was a crater lake which you could swim in on the top making it the only known lake on a lake in the World (wow!!)

As we started to climb I soon realised that this was going to be no walk in the park the weather was hot and humid and with my de-hydration from the drink I knew I was in for a painful trip. Well about a quarter of the way up (and about half way through my water rations) I was considering backing out as the sweat was pouring out of me - however I decided to keep going. The higher we got the harder the climb became and the thicker the mud - I was absolutely up to the eyes in mud - slipping and sliding everywhere - we stopped at a view point part way up and although the views were spectacular I was just enjoying the sit down. On the way up we did see lots of wildlife as promised with howler monkeys and white faced monkeys. Brent (one of the American lads)could do the howl perfectly, but needed a new pair of trousers when one crashed down on the path in front of him. Apparently howler monkeys urinate on you and throw there faeces at you if they find you a threat but look pretty scary anyway close up!!

Well on we climbed - I often fell quite far behind but the group were quite patient and waited for me - which psycologically is not the best because as you reach them they are ready to go again and you just want to sit down.

Eventually we made it to the top, but then had a steep climb down into the crater. At the base of the volcano was a lake but not the cool oasis we had hoped for as you had to wade out through the mud before you could swim.

Wow a lake on a lake!




We stopped for lunch but it was not long before we had to start the return journey back out of the crater and down to the base. I had thought this bit would be easier but because I was tired I kept losing my footing and ended up on my backside more than once. The water had run out too and the guide had sent ahead for more water. I had never been more pleased than when I made it to the viewpoint - just me and the guide by now as the rest of the group had made it well ahead of us. When we finally got to the base and met the driver - I swear I could have downed two litres in one go. Well full of aches, pains and scratches I cliimbed back onto the minibus - I was pleased that I had not quit but decided I would not be doing anymore volcano climbing in the future.

At the base of the volcano we all gazed up at the other twin volcano (Concepcion) which is suposedly even harder to climb and takes another 3 hours. Our guide informed us that he held the record for getting up there - I think we were all glad we hadn't attempted it.

(My boots would take about a week to get clean after this and I handed my clothes in at the laundrette with an extra warning!!)

Here's a picture of me at the bottom - (another terrible photo but my face amuses me!!)





That night no one ventured far and I crashed out watching the footie.

We had an early 5.45 start where we headed back to the ferry and then on to the border. The border crossing was slow and confusing - not simplicity itself as we had been promised by the guide. We got off the Nicaraguan bus at the border and had to walk accross to the Costa Rica side and after some form filling we watched Costa Rica getting hammered in the World Cup and hopped on another bus to the Costa Rican capital of San Jose.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen these pics! Looking good - Jen x

27 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can you speed up on the updates as don't have much going on right now.

did you have the fertility drink guado in Honduras? it puts hairs on your chest

27 July, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Phil, watching monkeys throw faeces was probably better than watching England in the World Cup! - Mr Purkiss

27 July, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home