Friday, May 05, 2006

Huanchaco and Chan Chan

Huanchaco is a costal resort. It was fairly quiet but I´d noticed that you could rent surf boards. I asked my Australian friend Lauren if she would give me a lesson. We hired a board for an hour and some wet suits although everyone was highly entertained by me trying to get my wet suit on. Well although I didn´t get to stand up on the board I did catch a few waves with Lauren´s help and definately wanted to try it again.

The next morning our guide met us to go out to visit the mud city of Chan Chan. This was one ruin I actually enjoyed visiting probably because much of it was in tact and you could see the original carvings. The guide was English but very amusing as he was like a robot - he was very knowlegeable though. The city itself covers over 26 square kilometres and was built by Chimu kings a race of people which were finally conquered by the Incas.





We also visited another interesting archealogical site the Moche built pyramids of Huaca del Sol and Huaca de la Luna.



Again I found these better than many places we had visited and you could even see the colours in the paintwork - there were a number of archeologists at work there - at the moment they are working to preserve what they have found so far but there is still a lot still to uncover.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home